Merging PDFs is the process of combining two or more PDF documents into a single one. Almost every PDF tool enables users to combine or merge multiple documents into one. However, this seemingly simple task may require a lot of trial and error if you don’t know what you’re doing and what kind of web-based PDF software you should utilize.
This article will focus on 4 online PDF mergers: iLovePDF, Online2pdf, Smallpdf, FreePDFconvert. We will expound on how to utilize these Internet-based tools to merge PDFs.
Combine PDFs Online using iLovePDF
If you are an active PDF user, you might be familiar with this online PDF combiner - iLovePDF. To offer a free, accessible and high-quality product, this team is dedicated to making PDF-related tasks easier and simpler.
As a whole, iLovePDF provides 25 valuable tools to simplify all PDF-related tasks, including splitting pages and merging multiple PDFs. Let’s dive into how to use iLovePDF’s merging tool to combine documents.
- Visit iLovePDF and you will see an operation panel;
- Click “Merge PDF”;
- Upload the PDF document that needs to be combined. iLovePDF allows users to upload files from Google Drive, Dropbox, and local computer;
- Click the “Merge” button to start combining these files.;
- When your PDFs have been successfully merged into one file, iLovePDF will automatically download the newly created file.
At the same time, you can choose to save this file into other cloud storage platforms - Google Drive & Dropbox. Alternatively, you can share a downloadable link with people or generate a QR code.
Though iLovePDF is a free product, it does not mean the free service is unlimited. Users are restrained to access features when they run out of two free tasks per day. Unlimited document processing entails a subscription plan. By the way, if you are looking for other solutions, iLovePDF provides a desktop version as well as a mobile app for different users.
Merge PDFs with Smallpdf Online
Smallpdf, another familiar name in the document management industry, hopes to craft a product that is reliable, secure, and simple to use. To a certain degree, this was a success and it helped make PDF easier by providing 20 practical features to deal with PDF-related tasks, including merging PDF.
- Go visit the official site. Click “Merge PDF”;
- Choose files from local device, Dropbox or Google Drive;
- The site will prompt you to choose how you need to merge the files: file mode or page mode.
The former mode is to combine entire PDFs while the latter can arrange individual pages of PDFs. Please note that you need to upgrade from the free plan if you want to organize different pages of PDFs.
- After choosing the needed mode, click “Choose option” to start merging;
- Smallpdf will not download the merged PDF automatically;you have to click “Download” to export it into the local device. Optionally, you are allowed two mainstream cloud storage platforms, Drive and Dropbox. Sharing the merged PDF requires registration.
As the image clearly demonstrates, a user can process two tasks a day. If you like this product, you can unlock the one-week free trial before paying for a subscription plan.
Combine PDF Files Online in FreePDFConverter
The next recommendation goes to FreePDFConverter. This online tool was developed in 2005 and has converted 15 billion digital documents so far. This free online PDF product provides 19 tools to improve both workflow and efficiency.
It’s important to highlight that this web-based tool enables users to export eBooks and iWorks into PDFs. These features are seldom seen in other products.
As to the merging process, this free PDF combiner is really quite impressive. The whole merging process is very simple:
- Open freepdfconvert.com in your browser;
- Choose a convenient way of uploading a PDF: local folder, Google Drive, or Dropbox. In addition, this website supports entering file location to upload the document;
- If you need to reorder or rotate the pages of an individual document, just put your mouse on a PDF document and click the “Split” (as shown in the following image). In this way, users can rearrange the page order of different files based on actual needs.
- When everything is done, click “Merge PDF”;
- You can choose to download the document directly, or save the newly created PDF into Drive or Dropbox.
It should be mentioned that this PDF software is totally free, and the “Merge” feature we just described required no subscription and registration. The intuitive design is user-friendly, and its various tools are really worth a shot.
Merge PDFs with Online2pdf
The last online PDF merger is online2pdf. Without too much content introducing themselves on their official website, this tool keeps a low profile. Online2pdf is not a commercial website, and the services it provides are completely free of charge and without any obligation.
Although this online tool boasts its conversion features (as shown in the picture below), it can merge PDFs and be considered an excellent free PDF combiner. Let’s take a look at how it works:
- Open the website;
- Upload the PDFs to the panel. This site only supports uploading existing documents from local folders. Any cloud storage platforms are not currently available;
- When you finish uploading files, you can optionally change the page order of these documents and specify which pages to merge by clicking the wand or scissor icon;
- The entire download process is automatic, which means you don’t have to do anything else. However, your needed document will be exported in the ZIP format. This format may be used simply because it supports lossless data compression.
Merging multiple PDF documents is not a tough task as long as you find the right PDF tool. All the listed four products are internet based and compatible with multiple operation systems, including Windows 10, 9, 8, 7, and Mac. However, each of them have their strengths and weaknesses.
The former two PDF software are relatively more popular, and allow every user to access their free services twice a day. Otherwise, it would be best if you upgrade your payment plan. In addition, their different versions can meet different needs and demands.
When it comes to the last two PDF programs, even though they are free to use and have certain impressive features, they don’t provide any desktop or mobile versions, making them less convenient and portable.
Common FAQ about Combining PDF Files Online
Q: Is it safe to merge PDFs online?
Every time you upload a file to an online platform, your file will be temporarily stored in the server. In other words, this platform can access what you’ve uploaded. This could be a serious issue when it comes to sensitive or confidential documents.
Hence, it isn’t suggested to utilize any online PDF applications to edit your confidential files. For non-confidential documents, you can trust online PDF mergers to conduct file combinations.
Q: How do i merge PDFs on Mac?
A: Mac users are luckily to have built-in word processing program - Preview. Using the Preview app, one can easily combine multiple PDFs for free.
- Open your PDF document with Preview;
- Click Thumbnails to see a list of all PDF pages;
- Move your cursor to the menu bar, then choose Edit to select Page from File;
- Select the file you want to merge and click Open;
Q: How do i combine PDF files without acrobat?
A: Besides Adobe Acrobat, there are many available free online tools and paid desktop software in the market. Free web-based PDF mergers include pdfFiller, PDF2GO, Sejda PDF, and PDF Buddy. Foxit PDF, SwifDoo PDF, and Nitro PDF are Offline PDF combiners. What needs to be mentioned is that cloud service prividers as Google Drive can enable its users to merge multiple PDF documents online.
Q: How do we merge PDF files with Adobe Reader?
A: Adobe enables users to combine PDFs or a number of PDF documents and other files. Follow the steps to easily merge PDFs with the help of Adobe:
- Download and launch Adobe Acrobat;
- Click Tools and select Combine Files;
- Add your PDF tools to Adobe;
- Choose Combine Files to start the merging process.